Engines for Sale

     Use the Contact Form for Comments

Monday, August 27, 2012

ARC Cessna Cardinal on Floats

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Giant Scale DH Vampire- Two Seat NF.10

This model started out as a VAMPIRE F.1* which crashed on its maiden flight.

Rebuilt eventually in its current form as a two seat NF 10** Vampire

* The Vampire was a neat, distinctive aircraft, featuring a central fuselage pod resembling a stretched egg, a twin-boom tail attached to mid-mounted wings, with short-legged hydraulically-operated tricycle landing gear. All the gear assemblies had single wheels, with the nose wheel retracting backwards and the main gear hinged in the wings to retract outward. The air intakes were in the wing roots, with fuselage plates forward of the intakes to prevent ingestion of stagnant "boundary layer" airflow; the engine was in the rear of the fuselage and exhausted between the tail booms. The twin boom configuration minimized the length of the intake ducting and the exhaust pipe, reducing friction losses. The wings were tapered, with an aileron outboard and a flap split by the tailboom inboard on each wing; there was an airbrake just outboard of the flap, in the form of a panel that popped up into the airflow. All flight controls were unpowered, operated through cable connections. The tailfins were trapezoidal in form, with a straight tailplane between them; the tailplane did not extend outside of the tailfins in the F.1. There was a bumper under the rear of each boom. Most of the fuselage was made of a sandwich of balsa planks between spruce plywood sheets, with the fuselage built in halves over molds using glues; the halves were then kitted up, fitted together, and covered with heavy cloth for painting. De Havilland had developed this technology and put it to good use with the company's Mosquito and Hornet aircraft. The rest of the Vampire was made of metal, mostly aircraft aluminum alloy.s

**TWO-SEAT VAMPIRE NF.10 / T.11 / SEA VAMPIRE T.22 * De Havilland also developed a two-seat version of the Vampire using company funds, designated the "DH.113". The DH.113 had the wings and tail of the single-seat Vampire FB.5 with a new fuselage, stretched by 1.17 meters (46 inches) to accommodate AI.X (US SCR-720B) radar and featuring a cockpit with side-by-side seating, the pilot in the left seat and the navigator / radar operator in the right. The two seats were a tight fit and so they were staggered, with the pilot's seat forward of the navigator / radar operator's seat. The crew sat under a single canopy that hinged up in the rear; ejection seats were not fitted, but the canopy could be jettisoned in an emergency. Since the DH.113's weight was 122 kilograms (270 pounds) greater than that of a single-seat vampire, the uprated Goblin 3 engine was fitted. The DH.113 retained the quad Hispano Mark V 20 millimeter cannon of the single-seaters, and could carry a fuel tank under each wing. It could also carry a bomb under each wing as an alternative external store. Three prototypes were built, the first performing its initial flight on 28 August 1949 with test pilot Geoffrey Pike at the controls; it was appropriately named "Pike's Pig", and flew at the Farnborough air show nine days later. Test flights showed the DH.113 was actually slightly faster than an FB.5, due to the Goblin 3 engine and improved aerodynamics. It was, however, slower than a Meteor night-fighter and had a substantially poorer rate of climb.


Friday, August 17, 2012

Supermarine Walrus

The Documentation:

The Walrus was initially developed for service from cruisers in response to a request from the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), and was originally called the Seagull V; although there was little resemblance to the earlier Supermarine Seagull III. It was designed to be launched from ship-borne catapults, and was the first amphibious aircraft in the world to be launched by catapult with a full military load. The lower wings of this biplane were set in the shoulder position with a stabilising float mounted under each one, with its horizontal tail-surfaces being positioned high on the tail-fin. The wings could be folded on ship, giving a stowage width of 17 feet 11 inches (5.46 m). The single Bristol Pegasus VI radial engine was housed in a nacelle slung from the centre section of the upper wing and powered a four-blade propeller in pusher configuration. The propeller consisted of two, two-bladed wooden propellers that were bolted onto the same hub, but offset by ninety degrees. The vortex of air created by the propeller created unequal forces on the rudder, making the aircraft yaw. The engine was offset by three degrees to starboard to counter this. There were positions for two pilots. The left-hand position was the main one, with an instrument panel and a fixed seat. Although the aircraft typically flew with one pilot, there was a right-hand, co-pilot's seat . This could be folded away to allow access to the nose gun-position, via a crawl-way. One of the more unusual characteristics of the aircraft was that the control column was not a fixed fitting in the usual way, but could be unplugged from either of two sockets at floor level. It became a habit for only one column to be in use; and when control was passed from the pilot to co-pilot or vice-versa, the control column would simply be unplugged and handed over. Behind the cockpit, there was a small cabin with work stations for a navigator and a radio operator. As the Walrus was stressed to a level suitable for catapult-launching, rather surprisingly for such an ungainly-looking machine, it could be looped and bunted.This was first done by the test pilot Joseph Summers, flying the prototype at the SBAC show at Hendon in June 1933, this feat surprised even R. J. Mitchell, who was amongst the spectators. However, in practice any water in the bilges would make its presence felt. This usually discouraged the pilot from any future aerobatics on this type. The strength of the aircraft was demonstrated in 1935, when the prototype was attached to the battleship HMS Nelson at Gibraltar. With the naval commander-in-chief on board (Admiral Roger Backhouse) the pilot attempted a water touch-down, but with the undercarriage accidentally lowered. The Walrus was immediately flipped over but the occupants only had minor injuries; the machine was later repaired and returned to flight. Soon afterwards, the Walrus became one of the first aircraft to be fitted with an undercarriage position indicator on the instrument panel. When flying from a warship, the Walrus would be recovered by touching-down alongside, then being lifted from the sea by a ship's crane. The aircraft's lifting-gear was kept in a compartment in the section of wing directly above the engine - one of the Walrus crew would climb onto the top wing and attach this to the crane hook. This was a straightforward procedure in calm waters, but could be very difficult if the conditions were rough. Armament usually consisted of two .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers K machine guns, one in each of the "open" positions in the nose and rear fuselage; with the capability of carrying 760 pounds (340 kg) of bombs or depth charges mounted beneath the lower wings. Like other flying boats, the Walrus carried marine equipment for use on the water, including an anchor, towing and mooring cables, drogues and a boat-hook. The RAAF ordered 24 examples directly off the drawing boards, under the Seagull V 'A2' designation, which were delivered for service from cruisers from 1935; followed by orders from the Royal Air Force with the first production Walrus, serial number K5772, flying on 16 March, 1936. It was also hoped to capitalise on the aircraft's successful exports to Japan, Spain.
The successor to the Walrus was the Supermarine Sea Otter – a similar but more powerful design. Sea Otters never completely replaced the Walruses, and served alongside them in the air-sea rescue role during the latter part of the war. A post-war replacement for both aircraft, the Supermarine Seagull, was cancelled in 1952, with only prototypes being constructed. By that time, helicopters were taking over from small flying-boats in the air-sea rescue role.[10] The Walrus was affectionately known as the "Shagbat" or sometimes "Steam-pigeon"; the latter name coming from the steam produced by water striking the hot Pegasus engine.

The RC Model Airplane
RC model by Dave Hughes of Ottawa Canada of the WW2 amphibious biplane with many unique features such as fully functional flying and landing wires; Folding wings; electric scale like retractable undercarriage and combination steerable rudder and tail wheel.
Build and flight photos
 Fuselage mounted in alignment jig
 Cabane and engine mounting structure
 Wing fold with hinges located near the trailing edges
 Rudder and tail wheel arrangement

Designer and builder Dave Hughes proudly shows his creation
 Taxi to the runway for takeoff and ground handling tests
 Takeoff tests

 Bouncing on the uneven ground it becomes airborne prematurely
 Sickening tip stall and crash 
This beautiful sea otter was created from the remains of the Walrus