After its first public appearance, by May 1914 what would later become known as the "Bristol Scout A" had been refitted with a longer span - at 24 ft 7 in (7.49 m) set of wing panels that were rigged with 1 3⁄4° of dihedral, replacing the initial 22 ft (6.71 m) span panels, a larger surface area rudder, and a much more conventional open-front, ring-style, "six segment" cowl to house the 80 hp Gnôme Lambda rotary engine. The British military first evaluated the Scout A aircraft on 14 May 1914, at Farnborough, when the aircraft achieved a top airspeed of 97.5 mph (157 km/h). The Scout A also entered two air races in the summer of 1914 after being purchased by British Lord Carbery for £400 without its engine. Flying with an 80 Brianhp Le Rhône 9C nine-cylinder rotary installed by its purchaser, it was ditched in the English Channel during the second air race it participated in; a round trip from Hendon in the UK to the French Buc aerodrome (near Versailles) and back, due to its running out of fuel. While in France, the tanks had been only half-filled by mistake.
General characteristics Crew: One, pilot Length: 20 ft 8 in (6.30 m) Wingspan: 24 ft 7 in (7.49 m) Height: 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m) Wing area: 198 ft² (18.40 m²) Empty weight: 789 lb (358 kg) Loaded weight: 1,195 lb (542 kg) Powerplant: 1 × Le Rhône 9C rotary piston engine, 80 hp (60 kW) Performance Maximum speed: 94 mph (151 km/h) Service ceiling: 16,000 ft (4,900 m) Rate of climb: 18 min 30 sec to 10,000 ft (18 min 30 sec to 3,048 m) Power/mass: 0.067 hp/lb (0.11 kW/kg) Combat endurance: 2½ hours
Model 35% scale of BRISTOL SCOUT 1C Construction Number 1060 by Brian Perkins, Ottawa, Canada.